Any "Oriental Heroes" fans around here?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Jedi Council Member

Any "Oriental Heroes" fans around here?

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

It's a comicbook series created by Tony Wong. Other series are The Force of Buddhist Palm and Drunken Fist. Do characters like Tiger
Wong
, Gold Dragon, Skeleton Secretary, and Barbarian ring a bell?

Probably this thread belongs to Fantasy, but the reason I posted here is due to the fact that those series are more well-known for their art than plot (which is as shallow as TV soapy series). Tony Wong's trademark is ilustrating Kung-Fu's "inner strength" (which is supposed to be "intangible") in such "hyperbolic" way as if they were actually visible phenomenon.

The pic below depicts Incredible Chap, a member of Global Cultist, concentating on his inner strength. Note his "inner strength" is visibly "steaming" out of the centre of his chest.

Another pic depicting Iron Todd and his inner strength, which is ilustrated as visible steams around his hands.

Another Tony Wong trademark is the excessive use of multiple "shadow" figures to depict fast movement, like the one below:

A quite scary thing is the way "spirits" drawn, like this one below. Ancestor, the Most Powerful Bad Guy, is consuming a fetus as ingredients to return his youth, while the fetus (baby?) spirit is shown screaming in pain (the larger pic). Note Oriental Heroes is not a horror series.

A thing I don't like is the cover art, which apparently wasn't drawn by Tony Wong himself, like the one below:

Note that those pics are not mine. Although I hosted 'em on my account, they originally came from here, probably the only website dedicated to Oriental Heroes.

Trivia:

- The writer of Oriental Heroes is Mike Baron, IIRC the same writer of Marvel's Punisher series.

- Invincible Swordsman, the main villain in Drunken Fist series, made a re-appearance in Oriental Heroes under the name of Ancestor. No explicit reference made, though, but one could easily recognize the similarity by the hairstyle and the scar.