Emo/Punk

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

entfern
Padawan Learner

Emo/Punk

Post by entfern »

While we are on the topic of getting music of different types. . . I am sick of listening to Muse, Brand New, Greenday, and FallOutBoy. . .any suggestions for music classifed under indie, skater punk, punk, emo, etc.
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Atreyu
Cursive
From Autumn to Ashes
AFI (A Fire Inside) - not something that I really like, but it's decent.

Well, actually what I named is probably better classified under screamo or hardcore... Cursive is probably soft enough to be called emo though.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Again, it's not really a genre I like, but you can't really go wrong with Weezer.

Also, check out: 36 crazyfists, Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu, but they're moving further from Emo and closer to metalcore.

Some more bands that you might like: Boy hits car, deftones, faith no more, they're not terribly emo, but decent all the same for skaters.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Mitth`raw`nuruodo
Harry Potter on Acid

Post by Mitth`raw`nuruodo »

Sick of Green Day :shock: *gasp*

Most of what I listen to falls under one of those categories. I'm too lazy to save my current playlist as an html and upload it somewhere, so I'm gonna list some specific bands:

(apologies in advance if I get genres incorrect, I was never well-versed in different styles of punk and such; I generally can tell between punk and emo, but it's all blurry)

Sum 41 - Skater punk, I guess. They remind me a lot of the Beastie Boys, if the Beastie Boys had guitars. Hell Song, Fat Lip, and In Too Deep are all goood.

Hawthorne Heights - emo. Screamo, maybe. Lots of loud whiny screams and songs about lost love and such. :-) I like them. I recommend Ohio is For Lovers.

Juliana Theory - JTheory was recommended to me by a friend. Their sound is kind of soft, most of the time. Get "If I Told You This Was Killing Me, Would You Stop?".

hellogoodbye - different. Very different. Emo, kind of, but also a little bit of pop. They're the most unique thing on this list, I think.

Matchbook Romance - I'm gonna call this emo, but apparently some people disagree. I don't care. "Your Stories, My Alibis" is decent, so is "Vindicated" (which happens to be on the Spiderman 2 soundtrack)

Senses Fail - Get "Buried A Lie". If you like it, listen to other songs.

Never Heard of It - Fun, if not very unique, punk. I like Let's Go All The Way, She's A Dick, and Satisfied, from the CD 11 Days.

Unwritten Law - Punk. They recently released a video for the song "Save Me", from their new CD I believe. I don't like it that much, honestly-- however, anything from their first CD (self-titled) is a good bet.

NOFX - I own two songs; both of them came from Rock Against Bush compilations. They're pretty good, I think. I haven't heard anything other than those few, though.

Misfits - Old punk. You may or may not like them, I dunno-- and there's others here that will likely be able to recommend better than I specific songs, but try Last Caress, Helena and Die, Die My Darling.

---

I could go on. Check my audioscrobbler (link in my sig), and if I decide to upload my Winamp playlist, check it too. I'll probably put it right next to the audioscrobbler link.

EDIT: I was trying to stay away from the harder stuff, but definitely everything mentioned by Rye and Exonerate.
<< SEGNOR: Grand Admiral of the Gnomish Hordes >< GALE: Equal Opportunity Lover >< SDNet Keeper of the Lore >< Great Dolphin Conspiracy >>
My Audioscrobbler

Cult of Vin Diesel - When you mix Vin Diesel with a strong acid you get salt water.
entfern
Padawan Learner

Post by entfern »

Mitth`raw`nuruodo wrote:hellogoodbye - different. Very different. Emo, kind of, but also a little bit of pop. They're the most unique thing on this list, I think.
LOL Jessi do nothing go to prom anyways is most assuradly unique for a awhile hellogoodbye were my favorite

yes sick of greenday bc i've been listening to it er. . the past three weeks straight?

and the rest of you guys thanks for some awsome suggestions and not ignoring a red shit :D
Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

Reel Big Fish is, I think, the quintessential Ska band. It's a lot of fun to listen to, I recommend highly.

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

You mean Ska hasn't been banned yet?

:P
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

Mitth`raw`nuruodo wrote: Matchbook Romance - I'm gonna call this emo, but apparently some people disagree. I don't care. "Your Stories, My Alibis" is decent, so is "Vindicated" (which happens to be on the Spiderman 2 soundtrack).
I'm probably wrong, but I was under the impression that "Vindicated" was a Dashboard song?
Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

The only good Ska was made by Madness, way back in the day. "I like driving in my car" >>> Reel Big Shit
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

Rye wrote:The only good Ska was made by Madness, way back in the day. "I like driving in my car" >>> Reel Big Shit
Sod off. RBF is just as good as Madness, if not better. There's a reason Reel Big Fish is so popular, and it isn't corporate marketing.

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
IndustrialNoise
Jedi Knight

Post by IndustrialNoise »

xBlackFlash wrote:
Mitth`raw`nuruodo wrote: Matchbook Romance - I'm gonna call this emo, but apparently some people disagree. I don't care. "Your Stories, My Alibis" is decent, so is "Vindicated" (which happens to be on the Spiderman 2 soundtrack).
I'm probably wrong, but I was under the impression that "Vindicated" was a Dashboard song?
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing...maybe both bands have a song with the same name or something. *shrugs*

My Chemical Romance-emo, but from what I've heard, not *quite* as whiny as some. I love what I've heard.

AFI- If you want some punk, get their old stuff. He Who Laughs Last, Rolling Balls, and High School Football Hero, to name a few. If you want emo, get some more recent stuff, mainly from Sing The Sorrow. Some songs would be Silver and Cold, Girl's Not Grey, Leaving Song Pt 2. My favorite punk/emo band, by far.

Avenged Sevenfold- They can be pretty heavy at times, but there's still a bit of emo mixed in there. If you're into metal also, you should like them.

Killswitch Engage - Pretty much the same as Avenged Sevenfold. Heavy, but still a little emo.

Sublime - Great band, I guess they're ska/punk. Get Smoke Two Joints and Date Rape.

Cky - I can't figure out what they'd be classified as, but regardless, a really fun band.

Also: Deftones, Weezer, The Killers, The Used, 311
::SoS:NBA ::GDC::
entfern
Padawan Learner

Post by entfern »

Fighter of Foo wrote:
xBlackFlash wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing...maybe both bands have a song with the same name or something. *shrugs*
Dashboard sings it on the soundtrack. . . I can't find the Matchbook Romance anywhere . . . suggestions?
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Thirdfain wrote:
Rye wrote:The only good Ska was made by Madness, way back in the day. "I like driving in my car" >>> Reel Big Shit
Sod off. RBF is just as good as Madness, if not better. There's a reason Reel Big Fish is so popular, and it isn't corporate marketing.
Skankin' Pickle mops the earth with Madness, and wipes their ass with Reel Big Fish, and I love Madness.

The Specials were much better than Madness, too.

But when it comes to Ska, if it's not the Skatalites, it's imitation. :wink:
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Mitth`raw`nuruodo
Harry Potter on Acid

Post by Mitth`raw`nuruodo »

entfern wrote:
Fighter of Foo wrote:
xBlackFlash wrote: I'm probably wrong, but I was under the impression that "Vindicated" was a Dashboard song?
Dashboard sings it on the soundtrack. . . I can't find the Matchbook Romance anywhere . . . suggestions?
Yes, yes it was. >.>

Mislabeled MP3. It was rather late when I posted that, and I wasn't really thinking. You may all point and laugh now as I hang my head in shame. :cry:

:P

I second the suggestions on Killswitch, My Chemical Romance, and Avenged Sevenfold.
<< SEGNOR: Grand Admiral of the Gnomish Hordes >< GALE: Equal Opportunity Lover >< SDNet Keeper of the Lore >< Great Dolphin Conspiracy >>
My Audioscrobbler

Cult of Vin Diesel - When you mix Vin Diesel with a strong acid you get salt water.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Funeral For a Friend are pretty good IMHO
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

I never understand why people hate ska so much. I mean, take a look at the pace, the trumpets, and the ryhtm. Punk aside, what else would be most suitable as jerk-off theme song? :twisted:
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

I have Chemical Romance's Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge. Its pretty good. I plan on getting The Killers album at some point. I like their "Mr. Brightside" song.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.