An Experiment in A New Kind of Music (music creator)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

An Experiment in A New Kind of Music (music creator)

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Stephen Wolfram's Wolfram Research has produced an new application:

WolframTones-- 'An Experiment in A New Kind of Music'.
It combines the principles in Stephen's book, 'A New Kind of Science' and Mathematica to 'instantly create unique music' in many different styles. They describe it as pretty neat as well as being scientifically interesting, and useful.

After listening to some compositions and creating a few random ones myself, I must agree that it is. And anyone who has listen to the radio the last few years could certainly use some unique music."
Wolfram
Cute
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

It's interesting, although what's just as interesting is how far back the concept of mathematically generated music goes, as IIRC, there was a dice game composers could use to write minuets in the late 18th century.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Interesting. The Country and Experimental Buttons are a little iffy, but it nails Classical and Ambient right down. They're actually pretty good, even if the instruments aren't distinct enough (you should never be able to have a Japanese Flute and a Middle Eastern Percussion create Country Music that sounds half alright.)
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I agree, the Country button is in need of fine tuning. Or perhaps, there's somethings you can't make computers do.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Doesn't do blues & jazz that well since both styles have lots of improv and off-beat stuff which can't really be punched into a formula. Both can change scales & time signatures and even instruments in the middle of a song so it's hard to get right. With the computer model it's far too structured and doesn't have life & groove to it. Probably have to put a beat & scale shifter into the thing.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Drewcifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Drewcifer »

hehe they almost all sound like crappy jam bands to me. Very cool and interesting though, applying this to music. Me likey.
Image Original Warsie ++ Smartass! ~ Picker ~ Grinner ~ Lover ~ Sinner ++ "There's no time for later now"
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

MRDOD wrote:The Country and Experimental Buttons are a little iffy, but it nails Classical and Ambient right down.
"Classical" sucks. It sounds just like a bunch of notes jumbled together, without there ever being a cohesive melody played by the whole "orchestra." The strings are always going off on their own paths while whatever instrument plays something totally different. It needs much work to pass off as "classical."
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.