That oddball band you like

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Straha
Lord of the Spam

That oddball band you like

Post by Straha »

We all have that one band you like, even though it goes against the rest of your taste in music. What is it for you?

For me... I've got to say it's Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. I'm not a big folk fan at all, except for "Country Roads, Take me Home" but that's for sentimental reasons, but give me almost any of their songs and I love it...

So, what is it for you?
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

A local punk rock band called Stuck With Arthur, who I saw play and picked up their first CD about halfway through the term. Other than the occasional Green Day, I don't listen to punk music at all, and actually dislike it, compared to the stuff I usually listen to, which is generally in the experimental and electronic ranges.
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

Enya and Loreena McKennitt.

I usually listen to black metal and death metal, groups like Bathory, Rotting Christ, The Crown, and Dark Tranquillity. Occasionally I need to mellow out, and those are what I go with. Off topic: the oddball band that I like that nobody else I know seems to care for is Godflesh(at least where I live).
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Eminem and the Beastie Boys.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

ABBA. Needless to say, WTF?

I normally listen to anime soundtracks, death metal, weird chanting, and gothy music. How did ABBA sneak in there?

No clue.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Prozac the Robert
Jedi Master

Post by Prozac the Robert »

I pick Kraftwerk. I find them pretty amazing, and yet haven't found anything particularly similar that I like.
Hi! I'm Prozac the Robert!

EBC: "We can categorically state that we will be releasing giant man-eating badgers into the area."
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Runrig - scottish folk/rock band. A guilty and nostalgic pleasure. :D
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Hey Seed Dixie, very very strange, yet very funny
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

Supertramp
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Bertie Wooster
Jedi Council Member
Location: reposed at the bosom of Nyx on the shores of Formentera

Post by Bertie Wooster »

Supreme Beings of Leisure. For some reason, I really enjoy their self-titled album even though I usually can't stand stuff from that genre.
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

Man or ......Astroman? Love that weird surf vibe.
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Mindless self indulgence, off the wall? weird? nothing like anything else? yep, and i like em for it.
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Moosebutter.

Thanks to Bohemian Fey for introducing me to them.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

*looks around*

t.A.T.u. And not just because of the former Hot Lesbian Chicks thing. I liked them even before I found the intarweb. Although that part is nice too.

I hate pop music. I have no idea why I like them, since everybody apparantly thinks they're screechy.

*runs away*
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

The Bloodhound Gang, they often mix rap with pop punk (which I hate) and yet I still love them to bits.

I also like some scally music, though I have no idea why. I don't "love" it, like I do with TBG, but I enjoy it on some level. I also find myself inexplicably drawn to "Tupac and Dr Dre - California Love," along with most of Run DMC's stuff. Oh, Gorillaz, too, way not what i normally listen to, but oddly addictive.
Pick wrote:ABBA.
I don't really like them except for the chorus of "money, money, money" which I find to be intimidating and impressive for whatever reason. It's almost doomy.

Oh, and for those that enjoy some death metal, well, I may as well use this chance to pimp my band. Listen to Buried, it's our most recent song and has an addictive as hell riff to it, though the recording quality is shit. If you have myspace, feel free to add us. :D
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Jeffrey Lewis - If You Shoot The Head You Kill The Ghoul. Fantastic song, great stylings.

And I forget the name of the Hobart group who did: "the love whose name must remain unspoken" (iirc) all about loving Daleks.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Robyn

For my fellow americans they probably remember her first album which was the first taste of the young female pop mixed with R&B album however it didn't take off and her susbsequent releases I've had to consistnely buy as imports. Her sound has matured a LOT in the intervening years (6-7 now) but I just enjoy the combination of songwriting and rythm she has. So yeah, I'd say that's my quirky like since I've had to pay 30 bucks plus shipping or more for each of the last three albums.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Erasure. My entire CD collection is made of of mostly metal, nu-metal and Rock. Hidding in the corner of the rack is a Pop by Erasure. I just love their sound.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Kid Loco.
I normally like Punk and Ska and hate electro, techno and what ever they´re all called. Kid Loco is some sort of electronic music and it´s damn cool.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Bands that I like that other people tend to hate or at least elicit a strong reaction:

Blood Hound Gang.
Reel Big Fish.
Mighty Mighty Bosstones.