Which musicians have you watched grow since their big break?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Zaia
Inamorata

Which musicians have you watched grow since their big break?

Post by Zaia »

Out of all the music you listen to, which well-known musicians (either solo artists or groups) have you listened to, loved and have been following since their very first official release? (This does not include owning all CDs/vinyls/concert DVDs of a particular artist or group if you started listening to them after their 3rd album but now own them all.) Which artists have you known and enjoyed since they first came out and had some airplay? Are there any you knew about before they hit it big in the mainstream? Are there any you knew about even before they had a large underground and/or local following?

Exceptions will be made for artists who released their own works prior to being signed by a major label. The independant release doesn't have to count, although you get extra points if that's when you found them. And I'm really not interested in groups that are fantastic but whom no one else knows about. Not very well-known groups, ok. But completely obscure? Doesn't really apply to this thread.

I've got three. Well, 2 1/2. I've known Bare Naked Ladies and Tori Amos for as long as they've been around (and before they were played on the radio), and I've been following John Mayer since his first single ("No Such Thing"), which I first heard the acoustic version of at a friend's party, which was off his half-album that he released himself, "Inside Wants Out." But I only count that as a half because I heard that song just as "No Such Thing" started to get airplay on the radio (and shortly thereafter, get horrendously overplayed on the radio. Still a great song, though).
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Bertie Wooster
Jedi Council Member
Location: reposed at the bosom of Nyx on the shores of Formentera

Post by Bertie Wooster »

Black Eyed Peas. I saw them play at Lupo's in Providence to a crowd of 40-50 before they were well known. That was either '99 or 2000.

There's been dozens of bands I started following shortly after the release of their first album, and I was into them way before they were even heard on the radio, but most of them would be considered too obscure and "non-mainstream" for this thread . Franz Ferdinand, Gorillaz, MIA, and Arcade Fire are bands I liked right away that became popular with the masses.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Black Eyed Peas. I saw them play at Lupo's in Providence to a crowd of 40-50 before they were well known. That was either '99 or 2000.
Man, those guys will never sell out :D

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

As for me, I tend to be sort of a late adapter, so I haven't followed many bands from their big break. I followed the Strokes for a while after Is This It came out, kind of forgot about them for four years, and have recently rediscovered them with First Impressions of Earth, which is far better than it has any right to be. Recent bands I've been following since their first release include The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, and The Servant.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Followed Sarah Slean from the release of her first indie album, saw Chantal Kreviazuk perform before she released her first album, and I think that's about it. There's a few other bands who I caught at the beginning but didn't really follow.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
The Aliens
Keeper of the Lore
Location: hovering high up above, making home movies for the folks back home.

Post by The Aliens »

Coldplay- I picked up Parachutes on a chance when it came out and was blown away. Then I watched their slide into mass-market crapulence.
| Lorekeeper | EBC |
| SEGNOR | Knights |

..French....................Music..................
|::::::::|::::::::|::::::::|::::::::|
.................Comics...................Fiction..
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

Well, I've been following Super 8-Bit Brothers for a while now, and they have yet to hit their break.

I've been following Mindless Self Indulgence, The Dresden Dolls, Venetian Snares, and Vast as well.
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

not big fans of but used to hang out with "Hollowpoint" and "Tessla" back in Stockton, well before their first albums came out.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

actaully my experience extends to being part of the "Crew" for "Hollowpoint's" first "Demo Video".

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Daft Punk seemed to manage it Da Funk and Around the World were the songs that were fairly well known, discovery and the most recent album have both been pretty good. Orbital, too, on the hackers soundtrack/everywhere with halcyon + on + on, went from strength to strength with their albums after that.

Deftones arguably got big with My Own Summer (Shove it) and though I personally consider Around the Fur to be their finest work the vast majority of people out there like White Pony better.

Carcass got progressively better, right u ptill Wake up and Smell the Carcass, as for when they got big, i'm not sure, but they're pretty much seen as avatars of the death metal gods.

Slayer have continued kicking ass through their heyday. Nile have the video for sacrifice unto sebek on scuzz occasionally, this is probably as big as they're going to get, and they are amazing currently. Latest album is their best, in my opinion.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

The Scissor Sisters. I saw them in The Limelight back before Laura had even been released and they played an awesome gig. Since then they've had one of the biggest selling albums of recent years (in the UK atleast) and have scored several hits. Their cover of Comfortably Numb is pure class.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

erm.. let me think..

A fellow called Patrick Wolf, he's yet to make it big but he's had two albums out and has just got a major record deal with a polydor subsiduary

Biffy clyro, Got their first album a few years ago thought it was amazing lost it, kind of forgot about them after that, then last year i discover they have three albums and sell out crowds. Saw them as one of the my first dates with my girlfriend.

Theres so much stuff in my music collection that never really got anywhere.. so i can't really count those.
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Besides my brother's Christian Rock Band, who had two Nashville-released CDs?

I've followed ALABAMA since their first song hit the radio in 1980.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

The closest thing that I've got is a band called Uverworld, but they've only released 3 singles so far, so I wouldn't call that an incredibly huge break. Especially since they're a Japanese band.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Anomie
Padawan Learner
Location: Between the begining of time and the end of the universe

Post by Anomie »

I've been listening to Korn and (flamebait) Linkin Park (/flamebait) since they first came out.
You shall be the instrument of my vengence. Through you I shall scream out my wrath unto the heavens.
"Explosions fix everything" - Nabeshin - Excel Saga
"When you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss comments on how you have no social life."
"We jumped the shark AND took its wallet" My friend commenting upon our groups dinner conversation.
CoVD:We are all but a part of a dream that Vin Diesel is having.
Church of Perverts: As the Lord commands, so shall we do. And do. And do.