A Fanfic Idea (my first fanfic)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

TrekWarsie
Padawan Learner

A Fanfic Idea (my first fanfic)

Post by TrekWarsie »

Here's the plot for a fanfic that I'm coming up with. In this fic, just after the disaster at Yavin, Palpatine discovered a rift that led into another galaxy, the Milky Way. He decides to send a fleet in to conquer the galaxy , but he wished to do it in secret. In order to keep this rift a secret, the part of the Imperial Fleet that would be sent in would only be his best and most loyal troops. With Thrawn in another sector of the Unknown Regions remaining on the lookout for the Yuuzahn Vong he and his troops aren't part of this force. By the time Endor is about to occur, the fleet has been assembled and a base and fleet yards have been built. Palpatine tells his troops to wait for his signal before launching the invasion. His troops are ordered to accept the signal from either himself or one of his Dark Siders. Palpatine goes to Endor, where he is killed. The invasion fleet waits, and builds more ships in preparation for invasion.

Jump ahead 30 years or so. The war with the Yuuzahn Vong seems to be going better for the New Republic. They have just recaptured Coruscant and the Vong are regrouping in another part of the galaxy. But, on a prison world, the Vong attack a prison that has Xcer Nist, the sole surviving member of Palpatine's Dark Side Elite. Seeing that the war is now going evenly, and the fact that the Empire is now "weak" under the control of Pelllaeon he decides to go to the unexplored area of the Unknown Regoins and he plans to set up a new empire called the Dark Empire. They then decide to use the Milky Way as a staging area. They scout this galaxy and find that it is inhabited by the Federation, and other races. The Dark Empire and the Federation encounter each other and the story goes on from there.

There is much more to it than this, though. The New Republic will play a role, and there will be new Imperial ships in this fanfic as well, and also new and enhanced Federation starships as well.

What do you guys think about this idea? I hope to start posting this fanfic within a week or two. Any help that you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I think it sounds pretty cool. Puts some interesting twists on the usual crossover stuff, I like the whole "waiting for the signal" bit, even though Palpatine is dead, sorta like the Eye of Palpatine.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
TrekWarsie
Padawan Learner

Post by TrekWarsie »

Something like that. Also, this fanfic takes place after Nemesis so I'll explore the situation of the B-4 in this fic as well. I intend to start it soon.
Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

Here's my advice for what it's worth. I'd make everyone you said clear in the first chapter, have Xcer Nist's escape, rendezvous, and beginning plots. This would be the set-up for the real meat of the story. I think it'd work strongest as a character-centered story, with Xcer being the primary character on the Imperial side of the equation. He should then have a Milky Way counterpart to oppose him, someone who can be as effective as he is.

If his primary enemy is the Federation, that opposite should be Kirk (it could be set during his admiral days if you liked). Alternately, you could use the Picard clone from Nemesis and a war against the Romulans. Other races would require you to create a character, which I think wouldn't be a good idea for your first fanfic. Having someone to balance Xcer off of would be helpful in writing.

Do NOT have the two face each other in final battle alone. It will be cheesy with a capital Velveeta.

Finally, Xcer's first name should be changed because it's unpronounceable. If you prefer it this way, I'd at least make it X'cer instead so that it seperates consonants that can't be pronounced together. Even though reading is visual the speech aspect of it should be taken into account. If you want to change names, here's a section from the essay I did on Star Destroyers Rampant:

Federation names are easy, of course. Any reasonable human name will do. I once named a character off of a name I found on the back of a CD that was nearby at the time. When you need to name aliens, if there's an established culture it's good to look at the names. Vulcans, for example, tend to start with softer characters and end with a hard sound (Tuvok, Spock, Serak), so when I had to create a Vulcan name I chose Selvik as a Vulcan name. Cardassians have a back of the throat quality (Garak, Dumos, Dukat), so I came up with Tulvek. Star Wars names are a lot harder. Sometimes they can have obvious english derivations (Skywalker, Darklighter, Winter), but most they seem rather alien. What I do is just read over a list of names and see if it kind of fits the style of the other names.

For truly original names, think in terms of culture if you can. Klingons, for example, are warriors, so their names have connotations of power (Kah'less, like a subdued battle cry) or craftiness (Gouwron, rolling out of your mouth like a slithering snake). If you have a race of xenophobes, your names might have a whisphered quality to them (Henisss, Raltiive, Silpheeen, to just make some up on the spot). The name Kalib was to reflect that this was an ancient yet powerful man, it demands respect.
[/quote]
Chuck