What Story do you think this could be? (a creative experimnt

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

What Story do you think this could be? (a creative experimnt

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I was a bit bored working on a Novea, and I decided to do a creative exercise...

I basically decided to write a random opening for a story. Have no idea what it could be or where it could go, buty Im rather impressed with what I did in about 10min or so...

So, I thought I'd toss it out, see what others thought, maybe see if anyone likes it...
==========

All people and races play games; some with friends, some with nations, some with worlds. In an area of space on the outskirts of a large spiralled Galaxy, a race was playing a game. For those involved, they would not be pleased to be a part of it.

Across space most systems and worlds are placed apart by thousands of Light-years. Contact between other worlds happens only after a race has advanced to a fantastic stage, if ever. However, in one small area of space, through a quirk of dust and stars, a crowded little sector had formed. In an area of space smaller then 50 light-years, six worlds had formed, five held intelligent life, and four of these had begun to explore space.

At a time when their people where still mastering Fusion power, when a trip of 2 light years could last twenty, world leaders felt compelled to push on. When three of the closest worlds met, albeit slowly over 200 years worth of first radio, then rocket communication, a forth race was waiting for them. They where powerful, they where mysterious, they could defy the speed of light with impunity, and though none would know it, they where the game masters, they where the Skothians.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Sounds like a bad opening to an interesting idea. More of a prologue or some giant yellow text that flies off into space.
Kwizard
Padawan Learner

Post by Kwizard »

I'd have to agree with Singular Quartet on this one - it's a promising idea, but perhaps one of the best ways to open a new universe is to start with a specific scene, maybe on board a ship or in a room somewhere. That kind of strange and gripping opening should come easily once you've toyed with the universe enough.