Photo of Mozart's widow found in town archives

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Photo of Mozart's widow found in town archives

Post by Bounty »

Beeb
A print of the only photograph of Mozart's widow, Constanze Weber, has been found in Germany.

The photograph was taken in 1840 in the Bavarian town of Altoetting when she was 78. She died two years later.

The local authorities say detailed examination has proved the authenticity of the image, which is a copy of the original daguerreotype.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart died at the age of 36 in 1791, when Constanze was 29. She later married a Danish diplomat.

The print is one of the earliest examples of photography in Bavaria. It was found in the town archives.

The daguerreotype was taken at the home of the Swiss composer Max Keller, whom Constanze used to visit regularly.

Mozart and Constanze had six children in their nine-year marriage. Only two of them survived past childhood.
Daguerreotype photography

She's the one furthest left:

IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

Too bad photograph technology wasn't developed earlier. She looked like she could have been attractive:

Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

Maybe. The wonder of art was that one could adapt it a little.
Check out TREKWARS (not involving furries!)

EVIL BRIT CONSPIRACY: Son of York; bringing glorious summer to the winter of your discontent.

KNIGHTS ASTRUM CLADES: I am a holy knight! Or something rhyming with knight, anyway...
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

That's why I said could have been attractive. I didn't say she was attractive. :D
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Damn it, IRG, I had to read both of your posts several times to actual get what the hell you were saying.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Damn it, IRG, I had to read both of your posts several times to actual get what the hell you were saying.
Sounds like a personal problem. IRG, I had no problem reading both of your posts right away.

OT, that's an incredible find. Makes me wish that photography had been developed sometime earlier, so that we could get photos of the composers themselves. Sometime around the Rennaisance would have been perfect.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Sometime around the Rennaisance would have been perfect.
Didn't Da Vinci and Co have some sort of pre-photography technique? I seem to recall a documentary on it. Something about a tower with a small hole in it and some water-mirror thingy and powder etc. :P
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

VT-16 wrote:
Sometime around the Rennaisance would have been perfect.
Didn't Da Vinci and Co have some sort of pre-photography technique? I seem to recall a documentary on it. Something about a tower with a small hole in it and some water-mirror thingy and powder etc. :P
There was the camera obscura, a room sized device that worked the same way as modern (film) cameras, but there wasn't any way to record the image. It also wasn't very portable.
Proud member of the no sigs club.